Ouzi is the Lebanese word for a dish of baked lamb and spiced rice. A blend of sweet spices, including allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and cardamom, gives the recipe its Middle Eastern accent and makes it a favorite a
Ingredients for making the Lamb Ouzi😋
For Lamb Preprations👌
1 1/2 lb. boneless lamb
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 bay leaves
1 large carrot, quartered
1 leek, chopped
2 cinnamon sticks
6 whole cloves
2 stalks celery
1 tsp. ground allspice
Making of the Spiced Rice😋
3 cups long-grain rice and Maggie seasoning to taste
1 1/2 tbsp. canola oil/ Lamb Fat
3/4 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup almonds
4 tsp. ground allspice
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. black pepper
6 cups aromatic lamb stock
Method of making the Lamb Ouzi 😘
- Prepare Braised Lamb,Preheat oven to 350°F. Cut lamb into 3-inch cubes or cook the whole lamb leg it’s up to you. season with salt and pepper. Place in roasting pan and roast to sear, turning several times until brown on all sides.
- Transfer lamb to braising pot. Add bay leaves, carrot, leek, cinnamon sticks, cloves, celery and allspice listed above, add cold water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium. Cook until lamb is tender, about 45 minutes.
- Drain meat, discard vegetables and reserve liquid, let it cool down the lamb meat.
- Tear cooled lamb into bite-size pieces, removing any fat tendons. Add back a little braising liquid to keep meat moist.
- Prepare Spiced Rice. Wash and rinse rice in four changes of hot water. Drain well and set aside.
- In wide-bottom pot over medium-high heat, heat oil and lamb fat. Add onions, sauté until translucent. Add rice, pine nuts, almonds, allspice, salt, cardamom, nutmeg, cinnamon and pepper. Stir continuously over medium heat until spices are fragrant.
- Add water, or stock bring it to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes or until done. Fluff with a fork.
- For a presentation arrange roasted lamb on top of Spiced Rice. Or you can arrange it in the round pot on the base arrange the lamb pieces and pour the rice on the top, seal the pot with flour or a lid let it be there on the slow heat then de mould the pot on the round dish it will more appealing then you can garnished with dry nuts and with chopped leeks.Accompanied with cucumber yogurt sauce. Enjoy this exotic delicacy which is very much famous through out the Arabian countries. 🥰